In the 16th century, when there was no space left on the inner-city cemeteries, a new cemetery was built here.
In the 16th century, when the St. Peter's cemetery (today's meat market) no longer had enough space, the parish decided to build a new one just outside the town gates. In addition a small chapel was built, which had previously stood as a chapel of the Virgin Mary in the forest "Taucherwald". The cemetery received the name " Gottesacker zum Taucher ". In the course of the centuries the cemetery has been extended several times and today has space for 5000 graves. Some meritorious Sorbian personalities may also be remembered at the cemetery and their final resting place can be visited, such as Carl Ernst Mucke (1814-1932), Handrij Ziesch (1925-2004) and Detlef Kobjela (1944-2018) und Dr. Jan Raupp (1928–2007). Mehr