This is the cradle of the printing industry in Bautzen. In 1574 the printer Wohlrab published the first Sorbian book.
In the 18th century the printing house was located in the residential and commercial building at Lauenstraße 4. The company was run by the printer Georg Gotthold Monse and its roots date back to the 16th century. At this time, the first printed book was published in the Lower Sorbian language. It contains a collection of Lower Sorbian church carols and the Lutheran "Small Catechism". Monse himself was also the publisher of the „Weekly Budissin News". In the 20th century the administration of the Sorbian National Theatre and the Department of Educational Literature of the Domowina Publishing House were also located there. Mehr