Until the end of World War II, the Old Wendish House was located at the Lauengraben in Bautzen.
Directly opposite the Sorbian National Ensemble was the old Wendish House. Johann Ernst Schmaler, co-founder of the Sorbian Science Association, bought the property in 1873. An impressive building was built on it according to the plans of the Dresden architect Grothe. In 1904 it was established as a centre for cultural life. The premises were home to the Sorbian Museum, the Sorbian library and the archive. The Sorbian Gymnastics Association Sokoł, the Sorbian National Bank and a bookshop were also located here. In 1912 the house also became the seat of the Domowina. At the end of the 2nd World War the building was completely destroyed. Mehr